Actors' Equity Association, Los Angeles, CA
Founded in 1913, Actors’ Equity Association (AEA) is the representative labor union for over 49,000 actors and stage managers in the United States. As an advocate for the talented individuals that bring the theatre industry to life, AEA negotiates wages, establishes fair working conditions, and provides a range of benefits including health insurance and pension plans.
The development of AEA’s new Western Regional Headquarters involved the renovation of a free standing, one story structure built in 1948. The 18,700 SF facility houses the region’s first audition center containing warm-up space with a range of amenities for members. A wood bow and truss ceiling system, striking in its design, creates large, open areas within the facility that benefit AEA staff. The design and construction allowed the creation of important acoustically separated spaces for auditions and preparation for member use. The building, which also houses a branch of the Actors Federal Credit Union, is a significant addition to the North Hollywood Arts District. In managing the project’s design and construction, Denham Wolf enacted a significant value engineering process in order to bring the building program in alignment with projected budget.
Services Provided: Denham Wolf provided Actors’ Equity Association with project management and real estate consultant services. Key among these services were:
- Guidance and alignment of budget and scope including ongoing management of the design and construction team
- Selection of consultants including general contractor and other specialty consultants and vendors
- Oversight of design and construction, including maintenance of budget and schedule
- Coordination of program pertaining to subtenant renovation space
- Consulting on lease with Actors Federal Credit Union